How do I change my address and country of residence?

Please keep us up to date with any changes of address. Please visit the 'My Account' section of the site here to change your address. Please note that in some cases, or if you have moved to a different country, we may need you to provide us proof of your new address.

You'll need to send us an email with your request to change your registered address, along with proof of the change, such as a utility bill or bank statement (dated within the last 30 days).

Please note that if you're moving to a country where partypoker does not operate, you will no longer be able to use your account. Our Customer Service team will be able to assist with withdrawing your funds in this instance.